The past week has been the worse computer week in my life.
First, for some reason that’s known only to the Sony people who made my DVD Drive and the Moser Baer people, I managed to waste 25 DVDs. They all burned fine, only I can’t read data off them. That’s like two months of downloads!
Then, my antivirus (Kaspersky) is about to expire. And I get a trojan. Don’t ask me how, but I managed to catch one as well. That basically screwed up my Windows installation.
Very well, since it was already over a year old, I decided to install another copy of Windows in parallel on my other hard disk (so that I won’t have to install all my programs again, at least for the time being, it being viva season and all!). Only, I can’t, because my partition table is, for some weird reason, invalid.
Hmmm… So, I get this shiny new Maxtor 250 GB SATA drive from a friend (thanks, buddy) and decide to backup my 160 GB on to that. Only, stupid drive has write rates slower than a floppy! For some reason, the drive won’t have it’s write cache enabled, and so it takes two days for me to copy everything to it. Very well.
So, then I format and everything, and the next morning, Yahoo! and Outlook Express decided to tick me off… Apparently, OE reset itself, and so wanted to download all of my mails, right from 2005. That’s around 7862 messages, a total of 506 MB!
The forces have combined! So, I first try to contact Yahoo! And the morons at their service center know nothing, and kept sending alternating between two standard responses, even when I try to reason out with them that my problem isn’t solved!
Then, I tried to transfer them to another Yahoo! account, since I wanted to retain all my mail for web access, except Yahoo! won’t allow me that. And Gmail won’t collect external mail from Yahoo! So that sucked. I tried some long shot methods, and ended up getting so frustrated, that I deleted all my web mail!
And Yahoo! just lost a user. And Gmail gained one. Because Gmail does wonderful stuff with POP3. It pops mails that I send from the web interface, and also adds to the web interface the mails that I’ve send from my client. No other service does that, AFAIK… Wonderful!
Anyway, things are slowly returning to normalcy (yes, I know that’s not even a word). But vivas start tomorrow, and project report is yet to see the light of the laser printer…