My CAT Class, IMS publishes some awesome quotes in it’s BRM (Basic Reference Material). Writing one quote here, and will be adding one everyday!
Engineers think that equations approximate the real world. Scientists think that the real world approximates equations. Mathematicians are unable to make the connection.
Deep, isn’t it?
There’s so much to note, and so little time! Anyway, a quick recap of the past few days:
- Got a replacement motherboard from Intel, had a blast (and then a major problem) installing it, especially when the thermal paste would simply not come off the plastic, adamantly refusing to stick to the integrated thermal spreader (yes, we engineers love to name stuff in this exotic manner!). The system is back online! With a brand new shining 160 GB SATA HDD.
- Only for me to crash it again, this time I almost lost 76 GB of data. For the uninitated, that is freaking HUGE! But then over the night recovered most of it, atleast that which was valuable such as the 4 GB of pics, dad’s stuff and more… But then, that process is making a mess of my sleep!
- Been to the Siemens manufacturing unit at Kalwa in Thane for an industrial visit to their SwitchGear factory. Quite a let down actually, did not get to see what I really wanted to, but then, still was fun… Rain and all…
- Semester 5 KT results are out. No, I did not have one, so there. But, a friend has still not cleared, so there’s a cause for concern.
- Two perfectly beautiful days wasted on the comp. When I should have been sleeping… I mean, over the past few days, I must have slept for barely 10 hours. Yes, not a major feat, but come on, it’s only the start of the semester.
- Assignments. Must remember to start completing them.
- CAT Forms are here. Must get to filling them and then yes, of course, stuyding for the exam!
- We selected the next IEEE-SPCE Executive Committee on Wednesday. I was on the panel who took the interviews. Was fun… Maybe details later.
- Have to take a small pedagogical session with the TEs and the SEs on Matlab. Must prepare for that…
- Project work is overdue. Must get to that.
- Going to the Nokia Service Center today, to get the cell phone stuff settled finally, I have had it with them.
- The VIP SMPS installed in my computer is an excellent purchase, the 12V bus maintains 12V, unlike earlier SMPSes I have used, confirming the theory that expensive stuff often is better.
Wow, that is one huge list. And yes, I remember, there’s quite a lot more to be added there…
Let’s all join hands and pray for the cell phone of a friend, a new 6630, lying on it’s death bed. The poor chap (my friend, Gautam Arora) was hit by a car (no, he did not suffer any injuries, and no, neither did the car), and that cell phone kissed a puddle with him, Newton reigning supreme with gravity again. Liquid Damage. Poor lil thing. I almost am in tears!
Yes, I finished Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, amidst all the hullaballoo. Gripping at times, comic even, though the ending leaves a lot to be desired. I bet Hermione is going to be hotter than ever, and Ginny, well, we’ll all see… Poor Dumbledore, no more movies for you. Snape is an interesting twist, thought something was wrong with him right from the beginning. And I hate Fleur. Don’t ask. The Griffindor Head, and now, Hogwarts Head-mistress reminds me of my HoD. Yes, yes, laugh away…
Well, it is one of those days again. Um, no, not those, but similar (in fact, there was a study conducted by someone (it was there in the RD, I think), which established that men too have a cartload of mood swings, similar to women’s periods)… Am in a pretty lousy mood today for no particular reason.
There are quite a few stupid reasons, actually, but there is no singly significant reason that justifies the mood. Yes, I reflected, and could not find any.
And that completely irks me. Not being able to pin-point what is the cause, is such a depressing phenomenon. Cause I know I am not feeling good, but there is no way I can feel better, because I simply do not know what is making me feel the way I am feeling…
Maybe lack of sleep? Emotional relief? Too-much pending stuff? OVer-exertion? Pressure of too-much pending stuff? Stupid irritations? Quite a list, I must say!
Whoa, I just realized there is more… My cell phone is still not completely repaired, the computer is not back online… Boring college days(!), completely and utter lack of release of any sort, and the impending doom of results!
Anyway, experience dictates that it will pass, in a few days if not over a good night’s sleep… So, I’ll keep it there…
Wanted to post a lot more, about a lot of other things, but there are better times, and I shall wait for them…
was a disaster…
Entirely my fault, actually… The first problem was to check for voting preferences of people from some states, and decide which state gave the least votes to candidate #1. Everything seemed perfect, but I had compared the # of votes, rather than their percentages, which led to my 250-point solution being successfully challenged. 😦
The second 500-point problem involved removing vowels from SMS messages, provided there were consonants to the left and right (not necessarily adjacent) of the vowels in that word. I forgot the word part while implementing it, and then in a slip-shod method added the space as a separator, and in the fumble forgot to reset and check for consonants to the left of a new word. Moreover, I had to submit twice, since capital vowels were also to be considered, and while this was broadcasted, I forgot to implement it. Sad. Again, leading to the sucessful challenging of my solution… Boo hoo!
There were some connection problems mid-match, and the total coding time was therefore extended by five minutes. This, I believe, was a problem with today’s match only.
I also tried my hand at the 1000 point problem, and I must say it was not necessarily so difficult, just need to practice more, and not make obvious mistakes.
Till the next SRM then, hope to make some score next time!